Nov 12, 2012

On what I'm reading

|
Tears tears tears. I will make sure the next time I'm blogging, I know why a person cries and why one person tends to cry easier. But anyway, I cried at the end of 'The fault in our stars - John Green'. Like suffocated, puffy-eyed type of crying. Silly, I know.

Without further ado, I have listed the books that I've read up to today. I am also writing them in order from which I like the best until which I like the least (I may read good books at the same time and I'll number all of them '1').

1. The sense of an ending - Julian Barnes (Kindle)
I borrowed it from online library and  read it on my Kindle (Its name is Lucky Charm). I love it. It was only 150 pages, so I read it pretty fast, but it left me wanting more. I will definitely try to catch up with his other works.

2. Peace like a river - Leif Enger (Hardcover)
I was frustrated when every book that I wanted was checked out at that time. Then, I tried to increase the probability by going back several years to see if any books interested me. You know, new books get checked out pretty fast. I found Peace like a river. I love the stories and the characters which were set back in 1960s. The title also somewhat made me feel peaceful when reading the book. Like, even when reading the height of the story, I kept calm and really believed that everything was going to be alright.

2. The fault in our stars - John Green (Hardcover)
It's a young adult novel. It was an easy read, but I think it was more than that. It was also written well. Though I can not relate to the characters' feelings about their sickness (cancer), I kind of want to befriend these people. They were not over the top made-up 'it' characters (you know, like in a movie where a girl is just like super cool and happy all the freaking time or like a guy who impresses people with his clever remarks). This book made me cry at the end (FYI: A lot of things make me cry, so it's not like everybody will cry reading this book).

4. Paper town - John Green (Hardcover)
I like The fault in our stars better, but I still like this book. The book follows the story of a young teenage boy solving clues left by his crush which lead to her whereabouts. So, it's somewhat feel like reading a detective book with a better writing style.

5. Snow child - Eowyn Ivy (Kindle)
See, it got like 4.5 starts from Amazon and that's why I bought it. But, I thought it would be a better story. I am still kind of confused if the child is a miracle child made out of the snowman child or a real child. I am not sure if the writer tries to set it straight or just to make it up to the readers which one to believe. I am not sure what the difference between her story and the Russian folktale on which it is loosely based (Snegurochka). I know it's different, but it feels the same except for the setting. Maybe I need to reread it?

6. The weird sisters - Eleanor Brown (Kindle)
I waited for the online version to become available from the library for a long time. I was disappointed. I like the idea for the story, but I can not help but to compare it with something like 'In her shoes'. Both books tell a story about the weird relationship among (between) sisters. But, the bottom line is that they love each other. I did not feel the pain that the sisters go through in this book. I may even have to pick 'In her shoes' between these. On the other hand, I do like the Shakespeare's references.

Currently starting to read: A discovery of witches - Deborah Harkness

*Writing this post makes me realize that I haven't read a non-fiction lately. I'm planning to read 'The Swerve' soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment