I am having a reader's block. I don't remember when it started or how I got it. For me, this is bad because I love to read. However, I don't have the desire to do so for this past few months. God knows why. I can't get into any books. I usually lose it after the first paragraph. I am also guilty because I have been preferring to read a real book than to read e-book (My husband gave me the kindle and I don't want him to think that I don't like it anymore).
However, if there's an author that might save me, it is Malcolm Gladwell. My brother introduced Blink to me a long time ago and it got me hooked. I then proceeded to read his other works. Last month, he had a new book out, David and Goliath, and I was super-pumped. So I bought it. Now it's sitting on my table along with two other books. I may skipped the other two and start reading this one first.
My in-progress reading materials are:
1. 7 Steps to Raising a Bilingual Child
I already know bilingualism can be achieved for children in general, mostly because I've seen many of my high school friends speak Chinese fluently with their parents at home, in addition to being fluent in Indonesian (fist language) and learning English as well. While I am super positive about this, my husband is not so sure how it's done. So I need this book to convince him and to actually know how people usually do it. Of course the child's first language will be English, but I can start bright and early, but slowly, to introduce him to Indonesian. The great thing was that all of his concerns (i.e., he'll be confused, he'll not be good in English, he'll not be as smart, etc) are tackled as myths right away at the beginning of the book.
2. Little Bee - Chris Cleave
Before I finished reading #1, I found this book in the bargain section at Barnes and Nobles. This is an older book which received good reviews. Although I feel a little too late to read this, but it's better than never. However, my bookmark has not passed the first chapter yet.
3. David and Goliath - Malcolm Gladwell
I went to B&N on Oct. 1st, thinking that they would have it because it was the launch date, also thinking that it would be displayed up front, I left the store empty-handed. I went back again the next week and asked if they had it(I didn't ask the first time, just because...) It's in the best seller location, let me show you, she said. It was is the left corner of the store instead of by the door or in the middle. Why would you call that bestseller location? But, I found out that it's still cheaper at Amazon (obviously). So I just got it yesterday. I really hope this book will bring me back to life!

No comments:
Post a Comment